Wednesday, August 15, 2012

"we are all dots" experience.

When I was writing about Yayoi Kusama before, I only imagined the feeling of seeing her work in person.

Few weeks ago, as I was passing by the Louis Vuitton shop window, I realized that there she was. Yayoi herself. Actually the wax version of her.

Photo: BFA, Joe Schildhorn

I later read about this year's collaboration between Louis Vuitton and the 83 year old Yayoi Kusama.

I honestly couldn't believe how intense the feeling of looking at some shop window could be. Standing there in front of it, you are practically sucked into Yayoi's mind which becomes quite an unsettling experience but you somehow don't want to leave that place.





Just a few days after this, I went to a museum to see the current exhibition of Jean Prouvé's works and figured that I could see the permanent exhibition as well, which I didn't really know what it consisted of. Cruising around the museum, I saw a big cube which people were entering and decided to check it. As I was stepping into it, I came to realization that it is something that I had read about before. I was entering one of Yayoi Kusama's Infinity rooms.


The magical feeling of infinity is created by hundreds of small LED lights which are reflected by the mirrors around you and water beneath you. As with the shop window, here you have that same feeling of never wanting to leave the place, only much stronger.



Every thing existing on the physical plane is an exteriorization of thought, which must be balanced through the one who issued the thought, and in accordance with that one’s responsibility, at the conjunction of time, condition, and place.

~Harold W. Percival

1 comment:

  1. "Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense.
    But the real universe is always
    one step beyond logic."

    from "The Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

    ReplyDelete